Avoid Electrical Fires This Holiday Season: Here's How to Do It Right

Posted on: 20 October 2017

Electrical faults are one of the top causes of fires in Australia. The holiday season contributes to the most electrical fires due to increased use of home appliances and lighting.

Other than damaging properties, electrical fires are known to claim dozens of lives. Make sure that everyone is protected during this holiday season by preventing an electrical fire from starting. Here are a few things you can do to avoid a fire in your home.

Replace old wiring

A home's electrical wiring is not designed to last forever. If your home is more than ten years old, it's best to have your wiring inspected.

If your home's wiring is more than two decades old, it may lack the capacity to handle the ever-increasing electrical appliances you use in your home. Also, as your home ages, so does the electrical wiring. Degenerated and old electrical wiring can quite easily lead to a fire.

If your electrical wiring is old, frayed or worn out, you should consider repairing or replacing the entire wiring system.  Make sure to call your local electrician to come in and inspect your wiring to plan for necessary repairs or replacement.

Inspect the plugs on your appliances

Faulty plugs are also another major cause of electrical fires and shock hazards. Just like wiring, increased use leads to worn-out plugs.  

Replace all broken or discoloured plugs or plugs that feel hot to the touch when in use. Also, make sure you buy replacement cords for your appliances, since worn-out cords can overheat or cause sparks that could start a fire.

Avoid overloading your outlets

Overburdening electrical outlets is a common cause of electrical fires. Overloading occurs when you plug in too many appliances into the same outlet, power strip or extension cord.

If you anticipate increased outlet usage, consider purchasing power strips that are equipped with internal overload protection to guarantee that the power strip shuts down as soon as it becomes overloaded.

Keep flammable items away

Portable electrical appliances such as irons, hair dryers and electric space heaters can lead to electrical fires if they encounter flammable materials such as rugs, blankets or cleaning supplies.

Electrical inspection

A detailed electrical inspection by a qualified electrician is the only way you can be sure your home is safe from electric fire, especially during the holiday season.  

An electrical inspection will help you identify any problems that are starting to emerge and allow you to fix them before they become serious fire hazards.


Carrying Out Home Renovations

Hello! If you have decided to renovate your home, you are probably looking for advice on how best proceed with planning and executing the working. Depending on the size and scope of your renovation plans, you may need to call on a wide range of different types of contractors in order to get the job done. You will also want to make sure that you get the job done for the possible price. This blog contains everything you need to know about working with contractors on a major renovation project. I hope it proves useful to you. I learnt all about home renovation when I hired a team of contractors to completely redesign and rebuild my home. They did a great job.

Latest Posts