Posted on: 20 October 2017
Electrical faults are one of the top causes of fires in Australia. The holiday season contributes to the most electrical fires due to increased use of home appliances and lighting.
Other than damaging properties, electrical fires are known to claim dozens of lives. Make sure that everyone is protected during this holiday season by preventing an electrical fire from starting. Here are a few things you can do to avoid a fire in your home.
Replace old wiring
A home's electrical wiring is not designed to last forever. If your home is more than ten years old, it's best to have your wiring inspected.
If your home's wiring is more than two decades old, it may lack the capacity to handle the ever-increasing electrical appliances you use in your home. Also, as your home ages, so does the electrical wiring. Degenerated and old electrical wiring can quite easily lead to a fire.
If your electrical wiring is old, frayed or worn out, you should consider repairing or replacing the entire wiring system. Make sure to call your local electrician to come in and inspect your wiring to plan for necessary repairs or replacement.
Inspect the plugs on your appliances
Faulty plugs are also another major cause of electrical fires and shock hazards. Just like wiring, increased use leads to worn-out plugs.
Replace all broken or discoloured plugs or plugs that feel hot to the touch when in use. Also, make sure you buy replacement cords for your appliances, since worn-out cords can overheat or cause sparks that could start a fire.
Avoid overloading your outlets
Overburdening electrical outlets is a common cause of electrical fires. Overloading occurs when you plug in too many appliances into the same outlet, power strip or extension cord.
If you anticipate increased outlet usage, consider purchasing power strips that are equipped with internal overload protection to guarantee that the power strip shuts down as soon as it becomes overloaded.
Keep flammable items away
Portable electrical appliances such as irons, hair dryers and electric space heaters can lead to electrical fires if they encounter flammable materials such as rugs, blankets or cleaning supplies.
A detailed electrical inspection by a qualified electrician is the only way you can be sure your home is safe from electric fire, especially during the holiday season.
An electrical inspection will help you identify any problems that are starting to emerge and allow you to fix them before they become serious fire hazards.Share